Rogers Drum Kit History

In the middle of my first year of junior high school, I decided to switch from trumpet to drums. Using the money from a neighborhood paper route, I was able to purchase my first kit with the help of my parents: a Rogers R-360 kit.

This kit was a workhorse for the next 15 years. From junior high and high school jazz bands to an original punk band to jazz combo gigs to playing at church to recording sessions and finally serving me for several years of original funk and rock bands in Seattle.

These drums survived a house fire in the 90s in Seattle with only the maroon wraps melted off and tarnished hardware. After stripping off the wraps, my Mom hand painted the shells, and these were back in business!

In 2000, a 15-year rest period began for this kit as I decided to pursue skydiving full time.

In 2015, I dug these out of the closet to start practicing for an audition to play for my local church. Within a few weeks of practice, the lug hardware started to fail and crumble. I replaced my original pride & joy with a custom DW kit, but started working at the same time on restoring the Rogers drums.

After installing new lug hardware, cleaning up the bearing edges and replacing some heads, my first Rogers kit was singing again…and is now part of the Mike’s Drum Tracking recording gear. Check her out:

New Original For 2020!

Check out this new original that started out with a bass melody I recorded. I then tracked the drums over that and decided to added a bit of djembe to round it out.

The drums were recorded with 3 mics: Audix D6 at the bass drum port, Shure SM57 on top of the snare and an Audix ADX51 overhead. The djembe was tracked with the Shure SM57 on the top head and the Audix D6 at the bottom. The bass was recorded straight into the Arturia AudioFuse 8Pre Interface.

All tracks were recorded through the Arturia AudioFuse 8Pre Interface into Ableton Live 10 Standard on a Mac. Final mixing included some EQ and Compression through Ableton.

Video was done through a GoPro HERO8 Black and the final video/music editing was done with Adobe Premier Pro. Enjoy!

Jamie’s Bass Riff…

My son Jamie plays Double Bass for the Georgia Youth Symphony Orchestra in their Camerata Orchestra. He also dabbles a little bit on electric bass, acoustic guitar and drums.

This song came from a 3-note riff that included double stops (two notes played at the same time). It sounds so melodic and ideas were already spinning in my mind. So after Jamie taught me the riff, I started building a melody around it.

The bass was tracked first, directly into the Arturia AudioFuse 8Pre. The drum tracks were laid down next with 3 mics: Shure SM57 on snare, Audix D6 at the bass drum port and Audix ADX51 overhead. The trumpet was tracked last and recorded using the Shure SM57

All tracks were recorded and mixed through Ableton Live 10 Standard. The video was recorded on a GoPro HERO8 Black and the final video editing/mixing was done through Adobe Premier Rush. Enjoy!

NGD: Ludwig Acrolite Snare

My goto snare for more than 20 years has been a 14″ Tama Piccolo, but one of the lugs finally gave way last week. Turns out the hardware for my version of the Tama Piccolo was long gone. So it was off to search for a new snare.

Instead of such a specialized snare like I already had, I wanted to find something that could be used in a variety of situations, recording and tunings. Nearly every search I did online came back to the same snare drum as “a must” for any recording drummer’s collection: the Ludwig Acrolite.

So I picked up a 5×14 Ludwig Acrolite, and it didn’t take much tuning to get a great sound out of it! The old school internal muffler is the bomb! On this recording I left it off as I was loving that full ring.

This snare was recorded with a Shure SM57 mic through the Arturia AudiFuse 8Pre into Ableton. Enjoy!

That Low Bass Song…

These riffs in this song have been in my head for years…like at least 20. And it wasn’t until I hopped back on the drums in 2015, and decided to also start recording myself, that I finally actually tracked what was in my head.

So I present to you…That Low Bass Song that won’t leave me alone…ha!

The bass was tracked directly into the Arturia AudioFuse 8Pre. I recorded the drums next with a 3-mic setup of a Shure SM57 on the snare, Audix D6 on the bass drum and Audix ADX51 overhead. The trumpet part was added at the end and recorded through the Shure SM57.

All parts were tracked through AudioFuse 8Pre and into Ableton Live 10 Standard on a Mac. Final mixing included EQ and Compression.

Video was through a GoPro HERO8 Black. Final video editing/mixing was done with Adobe Premier Rush. Enjoy!